Make vanilla extract as a Christmas gift for Stephanie’s coworkers.
- 1/2 pound whole vanilla beans (We purchased the Madagascar Bourbon ones.)
- 1 gallon vodka
- gallon container
- 2 oz. glass bottles with caps
- white vinegar for sanitizing
- turkey baster
Making the Extract
- Fill container with vodka
- Slit beans lengthwise with a sharp knife
- Place in vodka, close tightly.
- Store in cool, dark place for 2 months.
- Sanitize bottles in 50/50 vinegar-water mix for 10 minutes
- Use turkey baster to fill bottles (weigh on a scale to ensure even distribution)
- Cut some vanilla beans in thirds (cross-section) and place in bottles.
Results and observations:
Very fragrant. There seems to be enough flavor left in the beans to be able to repeat the process.